1 Day Conference – Designing a Curriculum for Sustained Mastery
Sustained mastery means that pupils learn, remember and become fluent in everything in the curriculum. They sustain their learning over time rather than only at the point of delivery. What does the goal of sustained mastery mean for curriculum design?
This one day course from Chris will help you to review or revise your curriculum by following three stages of design:
• In which aspects do you want pupils to gain sustained mastery?
• How carefully planned is the content of your curriculum for: core and foundation subjects and personal development?
• How is your curriculum customised to support the culture and climate of your school and any local needs?
• What are your expectations for pupils in all areas of learning and how explicit and clear are they?
• How do you plan for sustained mastery?
Find out about:
• Threshold concepts and how they can form the basis of a mastery curriculum.
• Planning for progress from fundamental foundations to greater depth.
The key question about implementation is: What is the most effective way to organise your curriculum so that pupils learn and remember everything you want them to? Based on leading cognitive science, Chris will examine the findings of how we learn, why pupils forget things and the implications for curriculum design.
Find out about:
• The problems with ‘blocking’ curriculum content.
• Cognitive Load Theory.
• Spaced learning.
• Retrieval practise.
• Links within subjects.
• Vocabulary development across year groups.
• Longitudinal learning.
• Continuous provision in Years 1 to 6.
• Pupils demonstrate sustained mastery in all areas of learning, preparing them well for the next stages of education.
• Some pupils reach a greater depth of understanding, visible in their written and spoken application of knowledge.
Find out about:
• POP (Proof of progress) tasks and how they provide a framework for assessing sustained mastery.
• Examples of pupils’ work that demonstrate sustained mastery and greater depth of understanding.
THIS IS A RESEARCH-BASED COURSE WHERE CHRIS WILL PRESENT YOU WITH EVIDENCE GATHERED BY COGNITIVE SCIENTISTS OVER MANY YEARS.
£199 + VAT per person or £185 + VAT per person applies when 2 or more delegates from the same school attend on the same day.
London Conferences: £230+ VAT per person or £215+ VAT applies when 2 or more delegates from the same school attend on the same day.
Book 3 or more delegates from the same school onto the same Conference and receive the 4th place free. Not in conjunction with any other offer.
Dates not convenient? Chris and the team can also deliver training to schools and cluster groups.
t: 01207 279500
All our courses contribute towards the DfE recommendations for effective teacher professional development.
Professional development should have a focus on improving and evaluating pupil outcomes.
Professional development should be underpinned by robust evidence and expertise.
Professional development should include collaboration and expert challenge.
Professional development programmes should be sustained over time.